OST file is the offline storage files of MS Outlook when connection to Microsoft Exchange Server is not available. OST file is basically a replica of Outlook mailbox data stored on the Exchange Server. It allows users to work even in an offline mode because the copy is also available on the local machine also. However, as the connection is established again OST file get synchronized with Exchange Server automatically to update data. Similar to other files, the OST files are also failure-prone and gets corrupted easily due to an unreliable internet connection. Apart from all this, there can be various other reasons also behind OST file error in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and its corruption. Therefore, one must be aware of what causes OST file corruption, errors and how it should be resolved.
Common OST File Error Messages:
Whenever in Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 OST file errors have been detected, the common error messages faced by the users are:
- Internal error (code=0000000E)
- error code 0x8004103b
- Internal error (code=00000003)
- Service-specific error 0 (0x0)
- Error 8004011D-526-80040115-0
Possible Reasons of Outlook 2016 OST File Corruption
During Outlook OST file synchronization process, if it gets stopped or interrupted in between due to any reason like weak connection, the Outlook OST file gets corrupted. However, there are some other causes as well that makes MS Outlook data files corrupted or inaccessible. Therefore, all such reasons are categorized into two parts i.e. Hardware Related Reasons and Software Related Reasons.
Hardware Related Reasons
- Data Storage Device Crashed: If there is any bad sectors in the data storage device like hard disk, then there are high chances that OST file stored in hard drive gets corrupted or damaged easily.
- Abnormal Network Failure: As everybody knows, the Outlook OST files synchronized with the Server via network connection. Therefore, if NICs, hubs, cables, routers or other devices results in the network fail, then there is synchronization error and OST file gets corrupted.
- Sudden Power Failure: If there is a power failure during synchronization process of OST with the Exchange Server, then there are high chances of OST files corruption.
Software Related Reasons
- Improper File System Recovery: Sometimes the file system recovery may lead corruption in Outlook OST file. It is due to broken file system or a data recovery software is used to repair the OST file.
- Virus or Other Malicious Attack: Any type of virus or infected malicious can infect or corrupt the Outlook OST files and makes it inaccessible.
- Synchronization Failure: If there is a synchronization error between the OST file or offline folders and the Exchange Server, then also it results corruption in the Outlook OST files.
- Improper Shutdown of MS Outlook: It is always suggested that a proper procedure is to be followed to exit from MS Outlook application i.e. by saving all the changes made to the OST file. After that, click on Exit or Close option. It is because if Outlook is terminated in an improper way, then OST file may get corrupted.
How to Fix Outlook OST File Error?
In order to resolve OST file error in Outlook 2016, 2013 and 2010 manually, use Inbox Repair Tool or SCANPST.EXE or fix OST error in Outlook 2007 and below version use scanost.exe to fix issue in OST file. However, it is an inbuilt utility in MS Outlook but has some major drawbacks. It is not capable enough to repair badly damaged OST file and cannot be used in an offline mode. Therefore, a user is advised to switch to a third-party tool.
OST Recovery Tool to Repair Corruption in OST File
If Inbox Repair tool is not able to fix corruption from OST file, then one should go for an expert solution i.e. OST Recovery software. It is an application that is designed to recover corrupt OST file and after that export it to PST file format. In addition, the tool has the ability to recover all data items stored in Offline Storage Table. If a user wants can perform selective export also by checking or unchecking the items before conversion.
Wrapping It Up
There are many situations in which a user encounter Outlook OST file error. However, the main reason behind all such type of errors is corruption in OST file. Therefore, to repair corrupt OST file of Outlook 2016 and all below versions, a professional solution is suggested to have a guaranteed solution. This OST recovery software has the capability to repair highly corrupted OST file and export it to PST format.