Multiple Methods to Convert Exchange EDB Files to PSTMicrosoft Exchange server is the secure environment where one can manage their data in an easy manner. The server provides several features to its end users like Exchange online access, collaborative sharing, etc. Well, the Exchange server stores database in an EDB file that is categorized into two sub parts i.e., priv.edb and pub.edb. Mailbox items like emails, tasks, calendar, contacts, etc., all are stored in this database file. Now a question arises that why users want a solution to convert EDB files to PST. In addition to this, what are the measures to do this? To receive answer to this question, one need to go through following blog. So, lets begin!
EDB Files to PST Conversion: Its NeedThe following users posted scenario will let readers to understand the need to export Exchange EDB files to PST:
I am an Exchange Admin and I had encountered one problem from one of my user. The OST file of this user has gone corrupted because of which he is unable to access his emails. He asked me to render him with a measure to get back access to his mailbox. Well, I can export Exchange EDB files to PST to get back his mails. I attempted a workaround to convert EDB into PST with Powershell cmdlet but, something went wrong and as a result of which I could not get PST exported. This is the reason why I am here to look for a solution for EDB to PST conversion.
Hello everyone! I am sharing my problem regarding conversion of Exchange EDB file to PST. Actually, I want to create backup of Exchange database file in Outlook storage file format. This will help in disaster recovery, in case of any such situation occurs. I tried several approaches for the same but, none of them are moving my complete data in PST file. Since there is problem with me that I cannot afford any single bit data loss therefore, please provide a relevant measure according to my needs.
Convert EDB File to PST for FreeThe solution provided in this section does not requires any dollars to be spent on it. What exactly these measures demand is that the person must be having expertise level of knowledge for working. This is required because if something goes wrong then, it will lead to negative impact on entire server database.
Measure 1 - Exchange Mailbox (EDB) to PST via PowershellThe solution is applicable only for Exchange 2007, 2010, and 2013 users.
1- Execute the following command line:
2- Generate a separate folder for archiving converted .pst files from EDB and give a name to it.
3- Right-click on the newly generated folder and click on Properties >> Share Folder
4- Assign Read / Write permission to the current folder and click on Share button
5- Copy the location where you have created shared folder and save the location name in a notepad
New-MailboxExportRequest – Mailbox MailboxName – FilePath EnterFilePath
MailboxName parameter indicates the name of Exchange mailbox to be exported, and, EnterPath parameter denotes the folder location where PST files are to be saved.
Measure 2 - Convert EDB File to PST via Exchange Admin CenterThis method is applicable only for those users who are using Exchange 2013 version.
- a) Generate a shared folder in which mailboxes are to be migrated. Keep following points under consideration at the time of this folder creation:
- Don’t create the new folder on hard disk where log or database files are already stored.
- It is important to generate a clean-up script for deletion of data files.
- Click on Permission tab for setting a security and sharing level
- Use following steps to allot mailboxes the Export permission:
- Launch EAC on your machine through Organization management and choose Permission tab. Double-click on Recipient Management and then, select all the listed items from Role
- From the current page, choose a Role and then hit on Mailbox Import Export
- Click on Add >> OK for successfully adding role to mailboxes
- Perform following steps to transfer EDB mailbox to PST:
- Again open EAC and select Mailboxes for listing complete mailboxes.
- Choose the targeted EDB file and then, right-click on the chosen mailbox
- Click on Export to a PST file option and browse location of targeted mailbox
- With help of following syntax, search path of converted EDB mailboxes : \server\folder\ExportFile.pst
- At last, hit on Finish button to terminate all ongoing processes